Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Planet Janet

Authored by: Dyan Sheldon

Dyan Sheldon is the author of Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, which was adapted into a movie starring Lindsay Lohan. I haven't read that book, so I can't compare, but I don't think we'll see Janet on the silver screen anytime soon (although one of those tween stars might be good choices... Selena Gomez? Miranda Cosgrove?).

Janet, a young teen who finds her life to be so shallow, is about to dive in to her Dark Phase with her best friend Disha. She's constantly being driven mad by her family, and can't get the hang of this love thing. While Janet's biggest dilemma is what color to dye her hair, she doesn't see the real problems going on around her. She gets annoyed when her family says it, but Janet really is on her own little planet. Janet's world ends at the tip of her nose, and her carelessness is getting her into trouble...

*warning... there may be some spoilers*

I enjoyed reading Planet Janet. It's in a diary form, which I always love. It was funny but it also had some tender moments. Sheldon paints a classic picture of irony with Planet Janet: Janet believes that other people are very shallow and uncaring but it is really her who can't be bothered to actually listen to what they're saying. Instead of being concerned about her parents, she just tunes out their arguments, counting them as a daily nuisance. Her brother is an art student of some renown, but she doesn't realize that his work is important until she invites his stalker in the house. Janet's two guy friends are vying for her attention, but she only has eyes for an older boy who isn't interested.
This all makes for a fun story, but it's also a problem. Janet really being on her own planet maybe ironic and all but the girl is so careless. If not for her few, sweet moments of sanity, she would be unlikeable. (She definitely isn't someone you'd be friends with in real life.) But perhaps we aren't supposed to identify with this protagonist. Perhaps we are supposed to just laugh at her.

I'll stop complaining. I thought Planet Janet was a good book. It was funny and quick to read (and, I said this before but, DIARY FORMAT! always love that.) I enjoyed it. I've just found out there's a sequel. Would I read it? Yes. I'm interested to see what happens to everyone... and I'm hoping Janet has matured.

No comments: