Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: The Omega Project


The Omega Project
The Omega Project by Steve Alten

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Not at all what I was expecting. Well, I don't read book synopses, only tags, and the front cover mentions a rogue computer so I kind of just went off of that. Basically we start a few years after the great die off, initiated by the lack of oil, with many flashbacks to how it all happened. Then humanity regroups and searches for more sustainable energy. The time frame here I had trouble getting over, plus the number of deaths. I think it was too much death too fast (the order of who died based on income was weird), and the regrouping of society also happened too fast with technology that would never be available that quickly now, not to mention after such a massive event... and who even *wants* a holographic phone? And for old people to have adopted this technology so quickly?

But this is only the first 50-100 pages of the book, and it changes severely after that. The main character, with a number of astronauts and a super computer go to Antarctica to test a habitat that is to be sent to Aurora to mine energy resources. After a few chapters here, the character is put into and then wakes up ("allegedly" O.o) from cryogenic sleep.

Though I initially hated what came to be the beginning of the rest of the book (and which I only thought would carry on for about 2 chapters, really I should start reading synopses), as you can see I came to like it. It was imaginative and I liked the new species and the main character/s.

Sometimes the descriptions didn't really work for me. I feel like the author describes landscapes within about 5 feet surrounding the main character, and then those landscapes become something completely different two paragraphs later as the character runs forward, which make it difficult to keep up with the settings.

I liked the back and forth thinking it was real vs. a dream. I kept going back and forth on which I felt it *had* to be, which was fun.

I mean, aside from the initial time frame and how sharply the story evolves into an awesome nightmare, I still thought it was every interesting. It was very descriptive to handle all the changes and it's very much tied into real life events which I think added a lot more layers to the story. Overall it was exciting but it was like reading two different books.



View all my reviews

No comments: