Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review: Pompeii


Pompeii
Pompeii by Robert Harris

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I heard that a movie was coming out called Pompeii. I've always loved Pompeii so I was really excited, and in the comments for the trailer, someone mentioned this book (which the movie is not based off of though there was talk years earlier of a movie which never happened).

So that's how I came to read this book. I really enjoyed it. The beginning is a little slow and I learned more than I ever though I would about aqueducts which I'm not upset about. Actually for all the research the author put into it, it would be a great school book. Learn a lot about a civilization through a story and characters you care about.

In the middle of reading the book, I watched a British documentary about how the bodies truly came to be, and on top of that, I've visited Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii and Herculaneum before so I think that really helped my imagination bring the story to life in the correct and detailed settings (and also makes me a little biased on my opinions for all things Pompeii).

I think if you're interested in Pompeii no doubt you'll like this book, but if you're not, the beginning might come across a little boring. On top of that, I had trouble keeping track of who was who because there were so many minor characters, many of them having similar names to each other.



View all my reviews

No comments: