Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review: Howl's Moving Castle


Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Why did I wait so long to read this?! I'd been wanting to since the movie came out.

Of course there are many differences between the book and the film adaption, but I feel like the film very much captured the essence of the book, and so I can love them both equally.

What I liked so much with the book was how adorable it was. I love the curmudgeonly Sophie, though at the beginning it sometimes felt out of place (like how she handled the customers) but more often than not it added to the humor of the story. Howl was hilarious, and I didn't find any of the characters to be annoying in the least.

The one thing that put me off was that the story connected itself to the "real" world in a way that I feel pulled me too far out from the fantasy than I wanted to be pulled, but in the end, it didn't have as great of an impact on the overall story as I thought it was going to have. I just needed a little more faith. It all ended just great, and I can't wait to read the rest of the books. :)



View all my reviews

No comments: