Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: The Runaway King


The Runaway King
The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
It's like KJ Parker (Fantasy w/o magic) except for kids...and that the King is moderately competent and cunning...
Anyway, I really enjoyed the first book, but for me the second one lost a little of the magic. It might have hurt that I just finished reading a writing book, which made the characters telling each other information each of them already knew solely for the benefit of the reader stand out so much more.
I also felt that this book took me a bit longer to get into compared to the first one. I also though a thing that happened at the end was a little campy. Too easy kind of.
Anyway, it's still cute, but I liked the first one so much more. From the last few lines, book three seems to be exciting, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

No comments: