Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: The Sea of Monsters


The Sea of Monsters
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I really liked this book. The five stars was probably because I read it in a day, and quick reads always make me feel that it must have been a great book. I was expecting it to be longer, actually. I seem to remember the first one being longer.

I saw the movie first, so I kind of knew what to expect (and can't wait to read book three, where I'll be totally in the dark!). I realize there is a lot that is different in the movies, but from my 'reading the book afterward' perspective, I wasn't upset. I feel like the movies leave in that which is critical (The big three not being able to have half-bloods because of the prophecy, minimal parental intervention, character's personalities, and the end result of the golden fleece's effect on the tree). The only thing I wish they did keep in was the beginning where Grover missing, because the fact that the satyrs all disappear is important (I think), and that is what explains it.

Really, this novel is very fast-paced, and at no point was I bored. It's funny and I'm learning tidbits about mythology that I never knew and otherwise wouldn't go out of my way to study. :-P I think it's a great children's book. It's action packed and to the point, the vocabulary is age appropriate (I read a kid book recently with curse words so...), and also teaches kids some new vocabulary. It's pretty awesome.



View all my reviews

No comments: