Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: The Heir

The Heir The Heir by Kiera Cass
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok, I read it.

This book had four huge things going against it. 1) The premise reads as if the political ideals in books 1-3 never happened. 2) It's the same book as 1-3, but gender swapped 3) All the reviews complain about the main character being a brat. 4) It focuses on a different character than the first books (really should be a companion series but...)

I liked it. Let's address the things going against it in order 1) The premise for the situation was satisfying enough. You already know that's what it is, you already picked up the book anyway, so it's nice to see that it was justified, and in a way that I felt worked. 2) Yea, but, that was the best part of the books! I'm not mad that it's the same thing. 3) I didn't hate her. I might be in a minority here, but the Heir's personality makes sense for who she is. She's the first one who is allowed to be an Heir despite having brothers. She's walking that thin line between a strong woman in charge and traditionally feminine, and it's hard. She's got herself into a personality rut, like people do, and she's working through it. It's fine. She never made me mad, unlike every character in the first books. She's not stupid. I didn't mind her at all. 4) Well, you see how much I liked the new character. I barely even remember half the people in the first book to really remember them when their names pop up. I think it worked because it'd been so long since I read the first three that I was no longer tied to those characters.

Anyway, over all, I liked this way more than I thought I would, considering the reviews and change of cast, and I'm really glad I read it. It's everything it should be. I actually think it worked way better than the first three. I never really liked the back story to the kingdom, and now that explanation is done with you can just enjoy the selection process. Of course, politics still plays a role. The state of the country plays a role. It's still fun though.

View all my reviews

No comments: