Friday, January 18, 2013

Genesis

GenesisGenesis by Bernard Beckett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First let me say, I picked this book up by chance, didn't read the synopsis, but began reading the book.

I very much enjoyed the book, but do have one complaint (and though I'll spend most of my time in this review on the complaint, it does not effect my overall rating). My complaint is that it was a sort of bait and switch. The first two chapters which detail Adam's early life have no bearing on the rest of the book. I saw the book going in a completely different way, which I'm sure is what they author wanted.

Spoilers:

I get why there was no more mention of Eve or the impact of the trial beyond aggravation among the people. These things meant nothing to the tellers of the story. The plight of the humans and their viruses. I, however was drawn in and compelled by this post-apocalyptic world and feel like he could have written the book on that. I really feel like it was two separate books and that the first two 'hours' were unnecessary means to the end of was Adam meeting Art. Well, it served as a 'red herring' but this is why I don't read mystery novels.

Having said that, I loved this book. Granted, I decided this before he met Art, I decided I would find other books by this author because it was just a gem. Even after he met Art and I realized I wasn't going to learn anything else about that which the first two hours alluded to, I still enjoyed the book.

It was engaging and well written, and now I finally understand why there's red hair on the cover! I find that short reads like this sometimes prove to be the most rewarding. Their is something special about being concise.

View all my reviews

No comments: