Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Elemental


Elemental
Elemental by Antony John

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Elemental takes place in a world after the plague has befallen. Now, people are scattered and wary of each other, fearful of catching this plague. We read about a small colony of people who can control various elements (wind, water, earth). During a storm they are attacked by pirates. The parents are kidnapped and the children (teens) plan to save them.

(Some spoilerish stuff follows)

I really like the idea of people having elements, and taken with the information provided at the end of the book, believe that it can be a really good series.

I also liked the dynamic between the characters (Specifically Thomas's relationship with Rose and Alice, and his relationship with his younger brother). Of course I didn't like the Guardians but we didn't have to see much of them... XD

Some things that came to light at the end, I had already figured out in more of a 'this should have been explained better' way than a 'oh I bet I know it's like this' sort of way (not that I think that makes any sense to anyone). There were just some things which could have been clearer. Some things didn't seem like they should have been surprises. If someone can create fire from their fingertips, I would expect someone else to be able to keep wind at bay.

I also had a hard time believing that these Guardians who had these special powers would think that it would be better to hide a strong power than to help the wielder control it. I just think there were too many secrets. Seemed a little much with not a good enough reason for keeping them.


With secrets out in the open now, I'm excited for the next book.



View all my reviews

No comments: