Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Reached


Reached
Reached by Ally Condie

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Since this is the third and final book of the trilogy, I'm going to skip any form of summary and go straight to my thoughts on the series, and this book.

Obviously, I was hooked after reading Matched, but only sort of. Mostly, I loved the book until I got to the final chapter. Then, I didn't know that it was meant to be a trilogy, but it really could have ended a chapter or two sooner. Despite how much I hated the end, I loved the bulk of the book enough to read Crossed.

Crossed was awful. I'm sorry, but I felt like it was pointless. It lost the charm and wonder of the first book. There was a lot of walking and a lot of poems and a lot of longing, but not much substance. It was a lot of book to accomplish only two things. I almost didn't read the third book. I gave it two stars and I was being too nice. I was disappointed. Nothing in book 1 suggested a follow up like book 2.

But when I start a series, I must finish it (unless it's a billon books long like Jacky Faber and Mister Monday, etc). So I read Reached. This book put us back into Society, where we were in the first book (I generally don't like it when books drastically change their setting, which added to my distaste of Crossed).

Cons: Firstly, I don't think it was at all necessary to go into depth how viruses spread. One, because I think everyone already knows, and two, because even if they don't they get it enough to understand the magnitude of the situation. Not only was virology explained (needlessly), but it was explained, not once, not twice, but THRICE. And the analogy they used to help people along wasn't until the third explanation, and wasn't a good analogy anyway.

This is basically one of my biggest issues through the whole series: So many words, most of it repeating things we already know, don't care about, or reprinting old poems. I'm a fan of efficiency. The length of the book felt stretched.

Pros: I really feel like this third book captured the intrigue of the first book. What I like about dystopian books is reading about a society that is not my own. Learning about their customs, and their outliers. Book three showed us a society falling apart, yet we still learned so much about it's inner workings despite that.
While others have wars and battles to overthrow their dystopian powers, it was more fitting in this society to use a virus. Makes sense. Do I think those characters should have been the most capable to fix everything? No, but they did and that's why the book's written about them. Everything that was introduced felt settled, even if I felt that some of those issues weren't pertinent to the story. :)

All and all I gave it 4 stars for recapturing all that it lost in book two, which was so far above my expectations (I had heard bad things). It ended well, no loose ends (well...), I was moved, and I was happy for the characters.



View all my reviews

No comments: