Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: Foundation and Earth


Foundation and Earth
Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I read the first three, not thinking that I really wanted to continue as it was a chore keeping up with all the different characters and that frankly wasn't as great as I thought it would have been. But then I wound up reading the 4th book and it was amazing, and the fifth was an extension of the fourth.

I don't really like to write synopses but here it goes: To ensure that he has made the right choice in enabling the society of Gaia to extend their one-mindedness with the whole galaxy, Trevize decided to find Earth (he is insistent that his answers lie there; it's a tad weak and the ending explanation for this search is kind of flimsy too, but isn't a big enough point in the book really to not read it for that reason- it's more like how he was directed to find Gaia,). His friend Pelorat (who first told Trevize about Earth) and Bliss, from Gaia head off to search for a world which seems to have hidden itself from the rest of the galaxy.

I especially liked this one because previously, when we visited other planets, they were so similar to each other. This book showed us the vastly different spacer worlds and kind of reminded me of Kino's Journey (anime) and other books where you just get to read about cultures which are different, and I love that. Plus I really wanted to read what would happen when they found Earth. To explain to you how awesome this book was- When they entered Earth's solar system, I felt like "we" the characters and I were coming home, to my home. They had been searching for so long and they came from so far away. It was like landing in the states after having been abroad.

For the record, I hated the character Bliss. Clearly it didn't wind up ruining the book for me.

Now I will continue on to Prelude to Foundation.



View all my reviews

No comments: