Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review: The School for Good and Evil


The School for Good and Evil
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Amazing. As I was reading, I went back and forth mostly because of how I felt about the correlation between beauty and good that the book portrayed.

But of course you see 5 stars here.

The School for Good and Evil gives us a classic fairy tale. Children from the magic realms (children of Arthur, and well known villains) and from the village beyond the magic realm are taken to this school to learn the virtues of being good or evil. It used to be that after graduation, sometimes good students won their fairly tales, and other times evil won their fairy tales, but not anymore. Good had been on a winning streak for 200 years! Now Sophie (who thinks she is good) and Agatha (who things she is evil) are taken from the non-magical realm to the school, but not quite the school they thought they should be in. The book chronicles their journey to find where they truly belong.

I really enjoyed reading about their classes, nuances of each school, and especially all their textbook titles which were adorable. This is a children's book, but it's probably more because of the traditional magic motif and the lack of type of love story that teen books prefer (which made me like it even more honestly). I thought it was great, and if your like fantasy and light, happy fairy tales you'll love this!



View all my reviews

No comments: